Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Sandwich When I was Sick

After about 8 months of marriage, one of us was bound to get sick, and I was the first. I was about 4 months pregnant, and had the flu, so, I was quite exhausted. I remember the look on your face. You were concerned. You wanted to help. You kept asking me if I wanted something, anything. I lay there in bed, really not wanting anything, but you looked at me with “puppy-dog eyes” and practically begged me to let you do something. I said, “Well, I guess I would like a turkey sandwich. (insert dramatic pause) a roasted turkey sandwich.” You asked me to explain and I said, “Make the sandwich with 2 slices of bread, a piece of turkey on one side and a piece of Swiss cheese on the other side, then you stick them in the broiler for just a minute and then you bring it to me.” Not too complicated, right? You had never cooked anything for me before that time, so I felt a bit spoiled and anxiously waited. I started getting worried when it took longer than I thought it should. Finally, after about 30 minutes, you brought me my lunch. NO KIDDING, NO EXAGGERATION: It was black, burnt to a charcoal on both halves. Your puppy-dog eyes explained that you tried. That was more than 20 years ago, and I don’t think you have ever cooked a thing for me since. (We both prefer it that way)

No comments: