Wednesday, November 26, 2008

First Argument

We were poor, new to BYU student housing, and our car had broken down. But, no problem, we had our bikes. So we donned on our back packs, you with your big Army back pack and me with a smaller day pack and we rode off to the nearest grocery store. There we bought the basic essentials and made sure we had enough money left over for one special treat. We decided we would splurge on a carton of ice cream. The entire ride to the store I kept imagining the cool refreshing comforting chocolate ice-cream we would be buying. Maybe it would be Rocky Road, or Burnt Almond Fudge. How about Chocolate Chip Mint. Yummy. All our shopping was done, and all that was left was selecting which kind of ice cream we would get. I saw the smile on your face. It matched mine as we looked in the freezer. “Well, should we get Rocky Road? OR Chocolate chip mint?” I asked. You scrunched up you nose. “Rocky Road? I was thinking Vanilla.” “Vanilla” I replied in shock. No one actually ate vanilla ice cream did they? I knew you would take my side, because I was your wife and you loved me and you wanted me to be happy so I was sure that explaining to you that I only like chocolate ice cream would bring to pass the obvious choice without further discussion. You replied “I don’t like chocolate.” We were at an impasse. Suddenly I realized that my happiness wasn’t the only one that mattered in our relationship. I still remember thinking: “First Argument-ice cream”

No comments: