Monday, December 29, 2008

Hiking Squaw Peak in the Lightning Storm



Do you remember that storm? Lightning was flashing all around us. Ninety or so strikes every minute. We were on the top of Squaw Peak, and the lightning strikes were within 20 feet of us. I could not believe what I was seeing. The static in the air was so intence, it felt as if it would lift me off the ground. We wanted to run as fast as we could down the mountain, but that would mean being out in the meadow, and it just didn't seem right, us running through an open meadow during such a fierce storm. We wanted to hide under the largest tree we could find. (There aren’t many large trees up there) But we knew that the large items would more likely get hit. So we cuddled under a scrub oak, your arm around me. We planted our feet firmly in the ground and huddled into a ball and waited out the storm. On the outside, it was dark, dangerous and scary. On the inside I was so happy to have my buddy there with me experiencing the magic of nature on the top of a mountain.

No comments: