Monday, December 29, 2008

Rescuing Me From the Pit Bull


The title says it all. You and I had been married for about 7 months and we went on a long hike (about 12 miles). Half of the hike was cross country through the small canyon just north of Squaw Peak. That was a blast climbing down the rocks. I remember seeing the tops of the long, narrow pine trees right in front of us, then we’d scramble down the face of a small “cliff” and we’d be at the bottom of the pine trees that we just saw the top of. We came out of the canyon just above Foothill drive. We walked along the mountain and a new development for a little ways when we passed a house which had a viciously barking dog in the garage. We couldn’t see him but he sounded like a mad dog, out to kill someone. We both were grateful that there was a big garage door between us and that killer-dog. Suddenly, an odd looking old woman crept out of the front door, somewhat hunched over. She had a strange look in her eyes as she glanced our way. Slowly she shuffled over to the garage, and to our horror she opened the door. Out came barreling that dog, a large pit bull, straight toward us. We were about ½ of a block away, and it was making ground quickly. I stared at the lady in shock and she just stared back in such a cold, almost evil way. The dog continued charging toward us and you said to me, “Just keep on walking, and don’t look back. Don’t run, but walk quickly and no matter what you hear, don’t look back.” My heart froze and the hair all over my body stood on end and I blankly turned around and started walking away from you and away from that dog. Soon I heard a young voice screaming. I glanced back and saw a young teen-age girl calling, yelling to the dog to come home. She seemed as frightened as us but she kept screaming and screaming to the dog to come home. Finally, about 30 feet from you the dog slowed his pace, snarled at us and seemed to tear himself away from the chase. Once he was safely locked away in the garage again, you caught up to me. I asked you what you would have done had the dog not stopped. You said you would have done the only thing that would stop a dog like that. You would have forced your fist and arm as far down the dogs mouth as you could and try to break his neck. Tears came to my eyes, as they are coming now, as I realized just what you would be willing to sacrifice for me, and for our little one who would be born 4 months later. You are brave, and honorable, my White Knight.

No comments: